We need to change our behavior.
There are two basic methods to effect this change.
Method one is quite popular: (1) We quiet our minds and create empowering beliefs, practice positive self-talk, sharpen our focus, and affirm our power in order to free our emotions and visualize positive outcomes to develop confidence and generate the courage to find the determination to make the commitment to feel sufficiently motivated to do what we need to do.
Method two reflects the warriors way: (2) We just do it.
In a more ideal world populated by saints, everyone would immediately opt for the second method. But in the real world, few people will "just quit" an addictive substance, or "simply exercise more and eat less" to lose weight. Many of us need a period of time and a step-by-step process to adapt to a new way of living. Group support, appropriate programs, and therapeutic processes can serve as transitions to finally "just doing it." the caterpillar doesn't become a butterfly overnight. Some transformations take a little time.
So let's be gentle with ourselves as we turn knowing into doing, and as we learn to use our emotions (instead of the other way around). As Mahatma Gandhi said, "As heat conserved becomes energy, our anger can become a power which can move the world.
From Wisdom of the Peaceful Warrior by Dan Millman
I'm sure Gandhi was right, and I believe that anger is a tool that hides something about myself that I need to look at, and take responsibility for so that my soul can shine forth. While anger may serve as a catalyst to wake us up, I don't believe that there is a straight line from anger to positive action. I do agree with the underlying theme, we all, always, have the power to choose, now.
0 comments:
Post a Comment
I would love to hear your thoughts, comment or suggestions. If you prefer to be Anonymous - I may choose not to share your comment on my site. Namaste.