Thursday, February 17, 2011

Beauty and Truth: All You Ever Need To Know


Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. This saying has been traced back to the 3rd century BC, with many writers including Shakespeare restating it in their works. Its current form is attributed to Margaret Wolfe Hungerford from her novel Molly Brown published in 1878.

I believe that not only beauty, but truth are found in the eye of the beholder. We simply can't see things in anyway, but the way we see them. 

My world is colored uniquely by the way I've experienced the world, and what I've made those experiences mean about, and to me. It's a circular construct that continually evolves. My truth ain't growing no moss.


SHAKESPEARE REFERENCE: MUST BE IMPORTANT

In Shakespeare's The Taming of the the Shrew, there is a famous scene ( Act IV, Scene 5 ) in which Petruchio appears to have “mastered” Kate by getting her to agree and repeat what appear to be totally outlandish statements; as he gets her to call the Sun, the Moon and a wizened old Man, a beautiful virginal maid.

This scene is often played today so that it is obvious to the audience that Kate gains control ( power ) in the game that Petruchio is playing, when she surrenders and acknowledges his “truth”, all but winking at the audience behind his back.

Does the lesson here have to be about power and control? What is the possibility that Kate learns you cannot change the way someone sees the world, so why not honor and acknowledge their truth?

While the title of this play sounds undeniably sexist, Petruchio is a mirrored “shrew” match in every way to Kate. I would propose what we are really watching is a love dance of two powerful shrew's who find not only a match, but form a true partnership in the end.

Kate's final soliloquy sounds like a feminist's nightmare, and yet by delivering it Petruchio wins his bet.

If she were a trained monkey we might believe he tamed her, but we've met Kate and realize that she and Petruchio have become united in purpose, a team.

OBJECTIVITY VS ( MY ) TRUTH

People have asked why I choose to write invariably in first person. I only know what I know, and how I see my truth in my world.  I don't believe that anyone is capable of truly being objective. Ever.

Objectivity is an intellectual construct that suggests the writer/person should behave, only relating the facts and nothing but the facts, from a position of neutrality, with no personal emotions or predjudice.  Even more unbelievably, it asks the reader to believe that the writer ( usually a human being ) has no bias.  Hogwash. No really, with all due respect to my learned teachers.  Baloney.

I love newspapers, magazines and blogs about current events.  I think its incredibly heartening to see more and more writers acknowledge their biases and yet still try to tell the story with integrity.  It rocks that there are now “fact checkers” to help expose those who choose to write without them.  This allows me the reader to form my own opinion.  Create my own truth.

I find scientific journals fascinating and intellectually stimulating.  More so when the author can contextualize the advancement they are discussing in a historical light.  We once believed the world was flat and that pre-frontal lobotomies should be used liberally.

Can you believe that MAD or Mutually Assured ( nuclear ) Destruction, was considered a viable political strategy at one time?  Not everyone felt this way, I know.  But a whole boat load of people who were in power bought in.  Didn't your Dad ( for the boomers ) consider building a bomb shelter?

I value highly what other people have written, but personally I prefer the poets, prophets, songwriters and philosophers; over anyone claiming to be giving me facts.  Their works are immediately open to interpretation and discovery.  We are invited to listen with our hearts, as well as our minds.



SO WHAT IS YOUR TRUTH?

So what is your truth?  What have you made true about you?  About your world?  Is it possible that others might see something different than you, and yet it is no less true?

How does your truth color your relationships with people?  Do you believe that you, can see through them?  Or is it possible, that you can only see them, through you?

THE TRUTH: WELL...  MINE

However you choose to see me, I will honor your truth.  Then, I'll look in the mirror and acknowledge my own.  My truth will never be yours, nor will it negate yours.

We each have our own truth, and as Walter Cronkite used to say, “That's the way it is.”  Although, Walter always had a chance to update the story tomorrow.  Truth changes.

Truth and beauty are precious, delicate flowers that deserve to be nurtured and admired with love.  Who are you comfortable bringing into your garden?  I'd love a tour sometime.

Namaste.

Lon

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your thoughts, comment or suggestions. If you prefer to be Anonymous - I may choose not to share your comment on my site. Namaste.