Saturday, February 2, 2008

Messenger

It had snowed for two days. Waking on the morning of the third I found the sun shining through crystalline blue skies. As I drank in the freshness and beauty of the strange little valley I found myself in, my eyes noticed a shadow moving. Moving? Darting, hovering, darting again from flower to flower in the bush of fuzzy red berries in my backyard. It was the end of November, the ground frozen, leaves off trees. Am I seeing what I think I'm seeing?

It had to be a sparrow. Again it darted, wings a blur, body still, seeking to serve flowers long frozen. I smile and wondered what it was doing. Tried to remember what it meant when they stayed close by.  My mind empty, then suddenly full, afraid for its life. Wouldn't it get eaten? Who's lunch would it be? Doesn't it know its supposed to move on? Move south where it's warm. Move on with your friends. Why have you stayed and risked it all? It's winter not fall. I sat and pondered what I was seeing. Looking for an explanation, looking for meaning. Again it darted, darted away.

A smile on my lips
I faced the new day

If something so small
So fragile, so tiny
Makes its own calls

What's to stop me
From creating it all

My life has its seasons
It's summer I feel
Life near a beach
Has an appeal

My hair looks like winter
It's true
But, it's my time that matters
Not theirs, nor their rule

Time to love, to sing and to dance
Time to kiss, to hug, pull close and romance

I sit down to write
To share what I've seen
To try to explain
What it all means

I sit and I ponder
Is it still there?
Will I see it again?
Will it stay near?
Aware in an instant
It no longer matters

Miracle messenger
Fly on to the south
Warm succulent blossoms
Wait for your mouth
To serve and to seed
Moving life forward

Thank you for stopping
For feeding my soul
Now get a move on
Before the next snow


0 comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your thoughts, comment or suggestions. If you prefer to be Anonymous - I may choose not to share your comment on my site. Namaste.